A lawyer is a person who can give you advice about the law and defend your rights – by writing letters, attending meetings or going to court, for example.
There are many different reasons why a child may need or have a lawyer. This includes:
- You are suspected or accused of committing a crime.
- You need help to make sure your school follows your Education, Health and Care plan.
- A family court is considering whether a care order should be made for you.
- Your parents are separating and a family court is considering where you should live, and how often (if at all) you should see each parent.
- Your rights have been breached and a lawyer is helping you to challenge this (this may include trying to get compensation/money).