Childline is there to help anyone under 19 years old who lives in the UK. Childline has trained counsellors who can listen and help with anything that concerns you.

Childline is free, private and available any time, day or night.

  • Telephone – 0800 1111 (you won’t be charged for your call and it won’t show up on a phone bill)
  • Or you can chat online or send an email. Visit Childline’s website here:
The Mix

The Mix is a UK charity providing a support service for young people under the age of 25.

You can find out more here:

Children's services
  • Every local council has a section called children’s services.
  • Social workers and other people who help children and young people are based in children’s services, in a part called children’s social care.
  • If you are being hurt, threatened or mistreated in any way, children’s social care can help. You should be able to find out the contact number by doing an online search: ‘[Place you live] children’s social care’.
  • Everyone who works with children and young people in your area should always know who to contact, so you could also ask a teacher, youth worker or anyone else you trust to help you get in touch with children’s social care.
  • The law says that whenever a child or young person is – or may be – suffering significant harm, local councils must look into the situation to see if they need to take action to protect the child.
  • Social workers who visit the child or young person are under a legal duty to find out and take into account their wishes and feelings.
  • You can also contact the police on 101 (or 999 if it’s an emergency). They will have specially trained officers who listen to children and young people.
Help At Hand

This is run by the Children’s Commissioner for England.

If you’re in care, leaving care, living away from home or have contact with children’s services, Help At Hand can give you free support, advice and information.

As a person with rights, you should always be respected and listened to.